Looking for materials for your classroom? There are a variety of places to get general supplies and science specific materials for your classroom for free or cheap. In addition to the locations listed below, Craigslist, garage sales, and your family/friends may have items that you can repurpose. Use the power of social media to connect with people looking to donate their old laptop/smartphone/tablet or to your Donor’s Choose campaign. And read this newsletter to find out about grants and other other opportunities.
- Donors Choose - sign up for free, create a project/supplies list worth up to $400, and get funded by people looking to support students and teachers! Use these key terms to increase your success: Common Core, Science Literacy, Next Generation of Science Standards, STEM , STEAM. Check out partner funding that fill automatically fund part of your project. They also offer $2 for every $1 donated deals frequently if you are signed up for their emails.
- The Daly Ralston Resource Center at UCSF Parnassus (100 Medical Center Way, (415) 514-0585, Mon-Fri, 3-5:30pm or by appointment) is a FREE lending library that houses more than 3,000 science materials for hands-on science and health lessons including "kits" (a lesson in a box), preserved organs, models, microscopes and other equipment.
- The resource center at SEPAL (Science Education Partnership & Assessment Laboratory, 415-338-6968) at SFSU loans out hands-on, minds-on science education materials, such as books, videos, equipment, models, specimens, charts and posters, slides, and activity kits.
- Excess Access is a San Francisco-based online facilitator liking surplus to need. Free to post a wishlist and connect with donors.
- RAFT (Resource Area for Teaching) collects surplus materials from companies and repurposes them into super inexpensive educator supplies and standards-aligned activity kits at their Redwood City (open Wed, Thurs, Sat) and San Jose (open Tues-Sat) locations. You must be a member.
- SCRAP is a non-profit creative reuse center, materials depot, and workshop space that does educator supply giveaways on the first Saturday of the month from 1-4pm (Nov 2, Dec 7, Feb 1, March 1, and April 5 during this school year). You can also donate leftover supplies to them.