Elementary School Science
2018-2019 Science Core Curriculum
The K-5 Science Core Curriculum for 2018-19 includes the new NGSS aligned Amplify physical science units, and life and earth science modules from FOSS CA. To ensure that students are experiencing NGSS aligned instruction during life and earth science, teachers will emphasize and incorporate the NGSS Science and Engineering Practices in the FOSS lessons. Full coverage of the standards requires that science is taught at least twice weekly in Kindergarten through 2nd grade and three times per week in 3rd through 5th grade. The elementary science team has compiled the following resources and is here to support you with science implementation.
For more information on the development of the SFUSD Elementary Science Curriculum, visit the Elementary Curriculum Page.
Elementary Science Curriculum Resources
Physical Science Resources:
- The Physical Science Core Curriculum: SFUSD Implementation Guide, teacher-created tips, tricks, resources, photos and videos at each grade-level, and instructions on how to access the online curriculum
- Professional Development Resources: slides and resources used at the full day grade-specific professional development sessions August 14th-16th, 2018
Earth and Life Science FOSS Resources:
- Science & Engineering Practices found in FOSS: This resource highlights where the Science and Engineering Practices listed on the report card can be found in our current FOSS curriculum
- FOSS Web: Access to FOSS digital resources, including teacher manual, student resources and supplemental materials. SFUSD login required
- FOSS Refurbishment: Request replacement materials for all FOSS kits including seeds from the SFUSD Science Resource Center.
- Living Organisms: Request FOSS living materials from the SFUSD Science Resource Center
- SFUSD FOSS PD Resources: Training materials from our FOSS PD series
Other Elementary Science Resources